Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Planning a genealogy adventure

Darlington to Columbia to Abbeville: http://goo.gl/maps/kgPbN

     OK, Baskin family, I'm planning something super fun! My friend is moving back to South Carolina this month, and I'm planning to go visit her in the Spring (I think).  Since I'll already be out that way, I've convinced her to join me in a little genealogy road tripping to the State Archives in Columbia (where I know there is a ton of material waiting for me) and then on to Abbeville to search for the places good old Capt. William Baskin and his family roamed and lived and fought.  Maybe I'll even find some cool graves...

   Anyway, wanted to let you all know that although I'm focusing more on other branches of the family now and doing work for my client, I'm still always on the lookout for any good Baskin info.  Of course I'll share it all here with you as soon as I can!

Wish me luck!
Alicia

5 comments:

  1. Well, I just wiped out several minutes of detailed info! Ugh!

    My wife is a descendant of William and Mary Baskin, her GGGGG Grand daddy. We call him William the 5th to keep all the Williams straight, which is impossible, as I am married into the Baskin Clan.

    Recently retired, I am searching on-line to update my filed from a decade ago when I had a serious computer crash, lost everything, except hard-copies and my nose for research.

    We came back a few weeks ago from our Burgess Society Meeting at Colonial Williamsburg. On our return trip we stayed a few days in Augusta County, Virginia (Harrisonburg) and followed up on information I found on the Baskins in Shenandoah Valley 1740-1765, visiting Tinkling Springs and Augusta Stone Presbyterian Churches where Baskins were both members. Augusta Stone is the oldest continuous operating Pres. Church in Virginia, c 1740.

    My wife direct line is Hugh Baskin who was Charles brother, who married Mary Craig, daughter of John Craig and Isabella Helena Russell, all buried in one of the two cemeteries', which we were able to visit.

    Google Earth is pretty cool these days, it helped me to locate various landmarks, cemeteries, roads, etc. along with the resources I got hits on. Set the stage for our visit.

    I am looking for any data about cemeteries' that William and Mary, Hugh and Sarah are buried. So far it is doggy. I found a source for the Will of Hugh Baskin in Abbeville and thought some details may be there. Most resource found have no record of the death of William or Mary except sometime after 1765. Hugh passed in 1797. If you have any leads, would be happy to follow them up.

    My email is chari2@att.net.

    Sincerely,

    Ron Bangert and Marylyn Louise Baskin Bangert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know what I find out! As far as I know, no one has been able to find out where William and Mary are buried - or even exactly when and where they passed. I know Hugh died in Abbeville, as did his brother, Capt. William. I hear that Capt. William is buried at Rocky Creek Cemetery in Abbeville, but there is no marker. Could be the same for Hugh...I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  2. My family descended from William Baskin and still live in Abbeville. Contact me at edtrav1@verizon.net and I can put you in touch with someone who can help you out in Abbeville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email is chari2@att.net. May travel to Stanton in November, would be interested in your contacts.

      Marylyn Bangert

      Delete
  3. That's so cool, Ann! I'll be in touch for sure. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete