Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Ireland 2017!

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted, I know. I've been working on a brick wall in another branch of my family (which I think I've solved, BTW).  The South Carolina trip never materialized, BUT I've planned a new adventure that will definitely happen, barring an act of God...

I'm going to County Donegal, Ireland in September to vacation and hopefully meet some Irish Baskins! I'm planning to bring a couple of DNA kits with me to hopefully prove the Donegal/Baskin connection that way. My uncle has done a Y-DNA test for me - we're waiting for those results to come in - so we'll have a Baskin Y-chromosome to compare with anyone I can convince to test over there. He and I have also both done the Ancestry autosomal test, so we'll have that to compare with also.

While I'm planning the trip, I'm trying to locate cemeteries I can search and contacting Baskin families in the area ahead of time so that I'm not just some crazy American asking for DNA when I get there! I will, for sure, visit Baskin's Cafe in Dunkineely and have their famous fish & chips. I'll post pics when I have them.

This is kind of the "Hail Mary" of genealogy, I realize, but I need a vacation and I've never been to Ireland. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Alicia...just recently started delving into my Baskin line and found your blog. Did you go to Ireland? I'd love to hear how the "Hail Mary" turned out. Please update. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should do a post! Went to Ireland, met an actual Baskin. No luck with DNA, no real interest in genealogy over there, sadly. BUT, they know their fried foods, which makes me think we're definitely related...I'll work on a post.

    ReplyDelete